[logback-user] File not rolling over with SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy

Gianni Doe gdoe6545 at yahoo.it
Thu Jan 15 07:41:34 CET 2009

Hi
My log files are not rolling over with the following appender and they
grow indefinitely in size:

<appender class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.RollingFileAppender"
		  name="R">
	<File>${catalina.home}/logs/rp.log</File>
	<Append>true</Append>
	<filter class="ch.qos.logback.classic.filter.ThresholdFilter">
		<level>debug</level>
	</filter>
	<rollingPolicy
class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.FixedWindowRollingPolicy">
		<FileNamePattern>rp.%i.log.gz</FileNamePattern>
		<MinIndex>1</MinIndex>
		<MaxIndex>3</MaxIndex>
	</rollingPolicy>
	<TriggeringPolicy
class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy">
		<MaxFileSize>5MB</MaxFileSize>
	</TriggeringPolicy>
	<layout class="ch.qos.logback.classic.PatternLayout">
		<Pattern>%-30(%d{HH:mm:ss.SSS} [%thread]) %-5level %logger{64} - %msg
%n</Pattern>
	</layout>
</appender>

At some point this appender was working correctly so I'm a bit baffled
- any suggestions for debugging why it's not working would be
appreciated.
Thanks
Gianni

PS. Not sure if this is relevant but I've been upgrading logback as
new versions have been released but I couldn't say if it stopped
working with a particular release or not.